3.7
Style and Design

I tried to use my Sunglass Hut Gift Card during their Black Friday sale. I first tried on Thanksgiving 2017, then on Black Friday the 24th and Saturday the 25th of November.

All three days apologized that there "Gift Card System was Temporarily Unavailable" and to try back later. Miraculously when the sale ended on Sunday 11/26/2017 Gift Cards were once again accepted. How convenient of them to plead a technology hardship that probably netted them millions of $$s during their sale. Picture it, they already have the customers gift card cash.

If someone really wanted a Black Friday deal they probably went ahead and used their credit card and deferrred the use of their gift card because it wasnt accepted. Meanwhile Sunglass Hut wasn't obligated to make any disclaimers to the gift card buyer that their giftees purchase would not be accepted during sales. In my case I had to spend another $50 bucks to get the same sunglasses with my Gift Card on 11/26 than if I could have used my gift card on Black Friday. I don't think what Sunglass Hut did with gaming the Gift Card System is even legal.

Certainly not ethical. But they know well enough that chances are low any one consumer can do anything about it.

Product or Service Mentioned: Sunglass Hut Gift Card.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

Preferred solution: Full refund of my purchase and publically apologize for the mistake. Apology will include an offer to affected consumers who made a purchase during the sale and possess a gift card additional discounts..

I didn't like: Ethics behind disabling gift cards during a sale, Gift card sham.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Nov 26, 2017.

Comments

The same is happening for this Thankgiving(2018). It makes no sense to receive a gift that can't be redeemed during sale(atleast not online).

The gift card system has been down for months. The customer service team is fully aware of the problem.

They refuse to refund gift cards, citing their "final sale" gift card policy. They ignore the fact that the gift card terms state "this card is honored at www.sunglasshut.com..."

Just experienced the "Temporarily Unavailable" gift card processing message as well. This is BS.

It was the online store.

I was able to use my gift card on Black Friday at the Sunglass Hut near me so it must just be your store or the website